RSS 2.0
# Tuesday, 28 September 2010
Well, I haven't been here for a while. Work has been chewing up way to much of my time. Ok, the status of my various projects is as follows:

Ikea aquaponics
- The gold fish are very happy, which is luck more than anything else. I cant remember the last time I tested the water. The watercress went well, until the introduction of a strawberry plant with aphids contaminated the whole lot. The kale is aphid resistant, grew ok, but seems to be dieing off in the warmer weather. The snow peas went well at first and then died, total crop: 1 pea pod. Beatroot sprouted but failed to thrive, as did the basil.  I think I'm going to remove the grow light and see how I go without it.

Makerbot Heated build platform (HBP) - initial runs proved that the thermistor calibration was way out, so it was re calibrated. Things to note during this process, Kapton tape doesn't like water, and snaplock bags shrivel up and melt in boiling water. But, the end result is much improved. While it was in pieces i took the opportunity to lap the chunk of aluminium I'm using  as a build platform. I didn't go to a full mirror polish, but it is flat now.  I used a slab of granite from an old bench top as the flat base, and found that moving the build platform in a figure eight pattern gave more consistent results that forwards backwards movement. So, its all re assembled and installed and leveled. It heats to a true 120 centigrade, and the heat coming off it causes my one wonky z rod to bind against the z platform and jam everything.  All the z rods will be coming out on the next rainy weekend.

Atomic Zombie High roller
(New! 'cos I need another project...) - I've decided to build a recumbent bike to commute to work on. Most of a racer was scavenged from a front lawn on a hard waste collection day, and its now been stripped and chopped into bits. I just need to find someone who stocks the right steel for the main beam now.

MythTV server
- Our original prototype is still going strong, and a new AMD64 system has been purchased to replace it. Its just waiting on the aerial to be replaced so we get all the channels.

There has also been some adventures in the culinary arts too. I scored a bag full of windfall tamarillio(s? Whats the plural of tamarillio?) and made my first chutney, loosely based on this recipe. If you've never met a tamarillio before, they smell a little like papaya, and taste like a cross between a meaty tomato and a passion fruit. But they make dam good chutney!  We have also made our first Cheese! A lovely creamy ricotta, and a mozzarella. We also scored a bag of lemons from Jus, which has now been converted into lemon curd, and preserved lemons.

Wow, looking back over that I feel less slack for not posting! I really need to take more photos though.

I'll leave you with a video of a completed version of the recumbent I'm building. I hope mine turns out this good.
Tuesday, 28 September 2010 12:57:43 (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)  #    Comments [0] -
aquaponics | food | MakerBot | Mods
All comments require the approval of the site owner before being displayed.
Name
E-mail
Home page

Comment (Some html is allowed: a@href@title, b, blockquote@cite, em, i, strike, strong, sub, sup, u) where the @ means "attribute." For example, you can use <a href="" title=""> or <blockquote cite="Scott">.  

Enter the code shown (prevents robots):

Live Comment Preview
Navigation
Categories
Archive
<2017 August>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
3456789
About the author/Disclaimer

Disclaimer
The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

© Copyright 2017
Copyright theOtherLeft.net
Sign In
Statistics
Total Posts: 11
This Year: 0
This Month: 0
This Week: 0
Comments: 27
Themes
Pick a theme:
All Content © 2017, Copyright theOtherLeft.net
DasBlog theme 'Business' created by Christoph De Baene (delarou)